developer / designer / reporter at ProPublica • PGP: https://t.co/Rm7puIOjUB
Al’s work on Source
- How We Made Losing Ground
- Reporting from the Youngest Land on Earth
- Announcing Raster Support for Simple Tiles
- Introducing Landline and Stateline
- How to Make a News App in Two Days
- Lessons from the ProPublica/OpenNews Popup News Apps Team
- All About Transcribable
- Creating Games for Journalism
- How We Made It: Your Hospital May Be Hazardous To Your Health
- Anatomy of the “Living Apart” map
- Free the Files API + Q&A with Al Shaw
- PAC Track
Articles by Al
Reporting from the Youngest Land on Earth
How We Got Aerial Photographs for Our Project on Louisiana’s Effort to Save Its Southeastern CoastPosted on
How ProPublica and The Lens got the aerial photos they needed to produce Losing Ground.
Introducing Landline and Stateline
Speedier mapmaking can be yours with ProPublica’s new GeoJSON-to-SVG librariesPosted on
How to Make a News App in Two Days
As Told by Six People Who Tried It for the First TimePosted on
As part of the orientation week for the 2014 class of Knight-Mozilla OpenNews Fellows, fellow nerd-cuber Mike Tigas and I led a hackathon at Mozilla’s headquarters in San Francisco…
2012 in Review: Al Shaw
Smart apps, great interaction choices, real-world effectsPosted on
ProPublica’s Al Shaw breaks down five outstanding news apps and interactive design choices from 2012, and one game-changer from 2011.
Free the Files API + Q&A with Al Shaw
ProPublica’s interactive data-analysis project gets an API and Al Shaw answers our development questionsPosted on
ProPublica’s interactive data-analysis project gets an API, and Al Shaw answers our development questions about the making of Free the Files.
What and Where Are the Super PACs Spending?Posted on
Expenditure tracking for super PACs during the 2012 election campaign, showing filings and contributor data.